Where to begin? Oh, here's a great starting place. Harry Potter. I realize I'm getting a big old for being as obsessed as I am, but c'est la vie. The other day I was walking with Little Texas down to the Marais (that's the Jew area - more on that later) to get my weekly stock of wheat bread and bagels, and what should I stumble across but a street sign which read "Rue Nicolas Flamel". Immediately, I knew this was no ordinary "Rue de Holy Saint" or "Rue de World War 2 we Hate the Germans Still Landmark". This, my friends, smack in the middle of Paris, was a reference to Nicholas Flamel, Dumbledore's co-worker of alchemy and discoverer of the Philosopher's stone. I stopped Little Texas (they looked at me oddly - who is this old lady who likes to talk about a children's book so much?), took a picture, and because we were running late went off to get my bagels.
But something was plaguing me. Yes, London can put a Platform 9 3/4 sign at their train station and not feel lame at all. They can have a cart halfway through the wall and not appear to be sell outs at all. But the French? They are far too superior to taint their city with the likes of a children's book - a children's book written by the British no less! They wouldn't dare do such a thing. So what was the deal, I wondered out loud to Little Texas as we stood in line for delicious falafel. That 1% of me that wanted to run through the wall at Kings Cross though, why, there must be a Hogwarts. This must all be real! I should head for London right now and see if I can't catch the Hogwarts Express! Then, sadly, reality set in.
Turns out Nicolas Flamel was a real person (Scoff all you want, father, the internet tells
Also, in the accompanying picture you'll find some graffiti reading "sarkoverdose." If nothing else, those French are witty and dissatisfied with their government.
No comments:
Post a Comment