Today I had potentially one of the oddest experiences of my life here in France thus far. Whilst toying with the idea of going running, I was drinking coffee and reading the paper this morning when someone knocked on the door. I decided to ignore them for fear of having to speak French. Then they rang the doorbell. Twice. Unshowered and dressed rather disgustingly, I answered the door. There dressed looking perfect and French was a woman looking very official and holding a clipboard. Our conversation went as follows, only in France, and some of her lines she may actually not have said and I may have just thought she was saying. But, it felt like a huge turning point in my life that I could even communicate with her.
Woman: Bonjour, is this the home of Roomie's last name?
Me: Oui
Woman: I am from the neighborhood's office of government (this statement is debatable, I'm hoping that's what she said. Otherwise I gave way too much info to a stranger). Are you Roomie?
Me: No
Woman: Are you Roomie's sister? (whose room I am subletting)
Me: No
Woman: Who are you?
Me: I am the roommate of Roomie...her sister is in Denmark (Denmark said with a French accent, meaning a pathetic attempt to throw a rolled R in)
Woman: How long have you lived here for?
Me: I have lived here for 2 months (I just learned the past tense and now don't have to speak only in the present and near future!)
Woman: How long will you live here for?
Me: I have will to live here for 2 months in May (sometimes I confuse my tenses and seem to give all of them)
Woman: How much do you pay?
Me (starting to feel a little sketched out and illegal): Um...I don't know? (i lied)
Woman: Why do you not know?
Me: Um....my dad pays my rent?
Woman: To the landlord?
Me (hoping to god she's not the landlord): Yes, he pays to the landlord the rent.
Woman: How many people live here?
Me (having a flashback to eight of us living illegally in a house in Ann Arbor and having the city come to inspect): Two?
Woman: How many rooms do you have?
Me (having just reviewed rooms in the house and feeling excited about my knowledge): We have two bedrooms, we have a salon, we have a room of bathing, and we have a small kitchen!
Woman: How long have you studied French for?
Me: Two months
Woman: You speak very well
Me (I have learned the proper response to this statement is): Oh no, I want to learn more and my accent is not good.
Woman (nodding about my terrible accent): You will learn. Can I see your apartment?
Me (feeling a little too comfortable with her after her praise of my French): Of course, come on in!
So I gave her a grand tour of the place. She asked me if I knew Roomie's phone number, and then as I checked in on my phone she read her number off of her official looking clipboard. She asked for my name and told me she would call Roomie.
As of this evening Roomie has not heard from her. It was all very bizarre but I just felt so high off of my ability to communicate that I didn't see the strangeness in it at the time.
In other news, my very,very, very pro-war, anti-abortion, fiancee in Iraq friend and I are planning a jovial showdown of who is more patriotic after she claimed she loved America more than me today. Check back soon for exciting updates on this trivia challenge we will have.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
you are way too humble about your french! that conversation you posted was so funny...david sedaris funny, my friend.
Post a Comment